Monday, January 12, 2009

They call it Velcro Beach


Monday, January 12, 2009


We had heard that some people call Vero Beach Velcro Beach because people arrive and don't leave. When we arrived on Thursday our plan was to leave on Saturday. Well, it's Monday and here we are! With the free bus service, beach etc it is very easy to stay. We also have tried twice to view trains that we can hear from our mooring. The bus transfer station is right at the track crossing and also has a nice park/playground. In our two ventures we have been unsuccessful at tracking down a live train, so we will have to be satisified to hearing their calls off in the wilderness. We had our first overboard casualty the other day. As Dave was getting into the dinghy he had the handheld VHF radio clipped to his belt. One wrong move and splish-splash there it goes. We tried to retrieve it with the big magmet but there is not enough metal in it. We were in a hurry to get to the beach to snorkel so didn't dive in (is that ironic?). Later at the West Marine store we cashed in a pile of coupons and ended up paying only $2.00 for the same radio. Not bad. Lesson learned. Dave tried diving for it later because he found out the warranty may cover submersion damage. Our location had shifted a bit so no luck.


4 comments:

Celeste said...

Where is "velcro" beach presumably a long way away from a January ontario

Celeste said...

I have a 29 year old daughter with Downs syndrome and admire your adventurous spirit in taking off on such a long expedition

2Grandmas2 said...

I have a 25 year old daughter with ds (somehow I think you are going to be collecting quite a few of us :) and I have been planning a lot of trips for the two of us (only on land). I look forward to following your travels!

My friend (known on our blog as G2) and I (known on the blog as S2) started our blog as a way for our friends to follow our travels, last fall. Now we just need to get traveling more!

If you go to our blog, you will see on the right side (scroll down quite a ways) a thing called 'Feedjit". It allows you to 'see' where all the people who visit your blog are located in the world. Also, below that you'll see a 'feedjit' map, which will display dots for all of those locations. They both update in real time. I bet your son will enjoy it!

S2

WheresMyAngels said...

How exciting. Although it is not something I would want to do!! ha ha I love hiking in the mountains but boating is not my thing and my daughter are terrified of boats also. It would be an adventure for sure with my family.

I'm curious to know where "Velcro" beach is also.